"No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys." ~Doug Horton

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Bringing it to the table...

There are certain things that we love to do and some things that become chores.  Even the things we love can seem like a chore sometimes!! I love laundry and have a very "special" way of doing laundry.  I have also always loved cooking and now it is new in so many different ways.  Before, I loved to occasionally cook for friends.  I would make big pots of spaghetti (homemade sauce of course), pot roast with veggies,  homemade beef & veggie soup, or taco night.  This was about it!! I can make these dishes blindfolded.  When I became CEO of my house i had to cut my portion sizes, cook three meals a day and add variety... it is the spice of life :) Luckily I got a head start... before I became CEO of my house I went to the gym every morning and watched Rachael Ray. I love the Rachael Ray show that is on in the morning and although I did not do a lot of cooking at home for myself I loved the show.  She taught me lots of tricks and that you don't have to be a "chef" to be inspired by food and make really great dishes.  My fiance likes to eat really good food and so I am challenged everyday to bring something good to the table... literally.  After trying fancy cookbooks, cooking shows and wasting to much food... I feel that I have a great system... I buy what I need for what I am making.  I start by going through and marking the recipes that I would like to cook (which is almost everything).  Then I start to create my menu for the next 3 days.  You can create yours for as long as you want.  Buy frozen shrimp, have veggie dishes for the later days.  I like to go to the grocery store every 3 days so that the veggies I pick up are fresh.  I write the day and B, L , D below each day.  I fill in the blanks... this also makes my shopping list (please see picture).  The magazines that work best for me are Cooking Light and Every Day with Racheal Ray. I can easily follow the instructions and have a tasty meal in about 30-45 minutes.  We have enjoyed every meal from these magazines and with monthly issues... I get variety.   If I write my list and prepare then I feel that cooking is enjoyable and not a chore.  If I am not prepared dinner is not very inspiring.

Have a beautiful day

2 comments:

  1. You are so organized!! Good hell woman. Oh, try Giada whatever her name is, the one with the big smile and big head that cooks Italian food on FoodNetwork? GREAT and easy recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just ordered Cooking Light and I agree that Giada has wonderful Italian dishes! Wish I could think 3 days ahead!!

    ReplyDelete